This letter is to inform you that Hope Lutheran School will be a “NUT FREE” school. We have several students that are deathly allergic. Most of you are becoming more aware of the dangers to children who have significant allergies to all tree nuts, peanuts, peanut butter, and/or all products that contain nuts. We know that strict avoidance is the only way to prevent a severe allergic reaction. This allergy can be life-threatening or create the need for emergency medical intervention if the affected student comes in contact with any of these foods.
In an effort to ensure all students are safe throughout the school day we are asking parents to partner with us to keep all students as safe as possible. We need your help in supporting the following guidelines to make our school peanut/nut aware and free.
- No nuts and nut-containing products for lunch and snacks (peanuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, cashews, hazelnut, peanut butter, almond butter, Nutella, etc.)
- If your child has eaten peanuts/nuts before coming to school, please be sure your child’s hands and face have been thoroughly washed before entering the school.
- Please do not allow your child to bring any food items containing nuts or nut products into the school or to be stored in their locker for after school consumption.
- When planning your child’s lunch, we ask that no foods containing nuts or nut products be brought into the school.
- Explaining the importance to children about not sharing or touching other students food.
Your understanding and support in helping us to provide a “NUT FREE ZONE” within Hope Lutheran is greatly appreciated. There are great alternatives to peanut butter on the market to be able to provide your child with for lunch. Sunbutter (sunflower seeds) and WOW Butter (soy butter) are two great choices that are acceptable for school lunches and snack. There will be samples of WOW butter in the office for anyone who would like to take a sample home and try. The samples will arrive soon.
Thank you in advance for your continued support and help as we continue to make your child’s classroom even safer.
In His Service,
Mrs. Nancy Jankowski, M.Ed.
Hope Lutheran Church and School
Building lives of excellence upon the foundation of Christ.